Sunday, December 2, 2007

Mike (as usual) is wrong

I believe strongly that you always take the known over the might-be. (Garnett over Jefferson anyone?) Sometimes it will bite you (Freddy Sanchez for example) but most of the time it's worth it. It's how we got Schilling and Beckett!

That said, I don't want to give up Ellsbury, but I'm willing to part with some of the others. I love Bucholtz but he's got character issues, and I don't see Lester or Masterdon developing into anything close to Santana.

Bottom line: Santana is the best lefty in the game, and a top-three pitcher in the American League. Beckett + Santana + Dice + Schilling...forget about it!

3 comments:

Steve said...

Ah..now I get it, we should just respond to these posts as comments, thus keeping several running conversations at a time.

Just saw that the Sox added Ellsbury to the Santana package...I don't like it but...

The Commish said...

Well, you should liked it. After all, Crisp is the known and Ellsbury the unknown!

To me, this sucks. Ellsbury made that team go in the playoffs (how many games did the sox lose when he was playing?) and Crisp is a dud. To give Ellsbury, Buscholtz (Mr. Nohitter! What's wrong with that character?) and Lester just to pay Santana 25 million a year for what? 15 wins? Ugh.

Steve said...

If I offered to clone Josh Beckett, would you part with Ellsbury? Yes, yes you would.